Monday, February 20, 2012

The First Assignment--Human Capital Theory

The first assignment came and went and provided me with several great insights into how I’m invested in as an employee at my current company. What I realized through researching and writing for this assignment is that my current company places less investment in me as an employee than I have experienced at some other companies where I’ve worked in the past. Although I’m grateful for and fulfilled in the health and wellness areas, my company lacks when it comes to making investments in my education and professional training. Professional training is rarely mentioned, and when it is, it is always an on-site training done by co-workers who are not usually experts on the training topic. As far as off-site training or conferences, those are never mentioned.

My company offers tuition reimbursement for 50% of tuition costs, but one has to stay with the company for at least two years after reimbursement or the money will have to be paid back. This is better than some employer plans, but again, I’ve experienced better tuition plans, so I guess I may be a bit spoiled.

Overall, I don’t feel invested in regarding training and development. Learning new things at work or through on the job training is usually done at such a frenetic pace, because of deadlines, that I’m unable to fully absorb the information and fully develop the skills that I’m learning.
In my paper, I highlighted several weaknesses of human capital theory, but reflecting on the two strengths that I discussed, I believe these strengths outweigh the weaknesses. My first strength was “…   the educational, health, and professional benefits and opportunities that individuals who are “invested” in are afforded” (p. 2).

The second strength that I discussed was “…the benefits that human capital provides to the society as a whole” (p. 3). I believe that these strengths of human capital theory outweigh the weaknesses because I find myself wondering what my own life would be like if I were not, in the past and currently, afforded some of the “investments”. I also think about my family members in past generations who were not invested in and feel extremely grateful for the opportunities and “investments” that have been made for me in both my educational and professional life. I also feel proud that I can share the benefits of my investments with family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment